Social Climbers Review And Giveaway
Welcome to the world of Social Climbers
Where the society season kicks off at the opening night of the Philadelphia Orchestra. Main Line ladies compete to get their names on committees, invitations and their picture in the newspaper.
SC Elizabeth Quinn is a young lady determined to make it to the Philadelphia A-list. Each invitation (or snub) is a benchmark of her struggle. While Elizabeth is a SC, she lacks the ferocity of the ladies she will encounter. She’ll see schoolyard cruelty, just polished up for the grown-up world and now finely honed into small humiliations.
Friends from The Agnes Irwin School and Lake Forest College, Kitty and Elizabeth, are “mean girls” grown-up. They use their clique of friends and polished possessions to pick away at each other’s Social Standing. Sadly, their anger stemming from a boy they both liked in High School and neither married keeps them from seeing what is truly important in life.
Follow Elizabeth to afternoon tea and photo-op’s. See if she chooses the right children’s names and the proper label to wear and display. Find out how she learns the difference between Jimmy Choo and Kate Spade, the language of nicknames, when it’s alright to brag about a bargain or wear costume jewelry, what to monogram (not toilet paper), who to idolize (Babe Paley) and what constitutes taste in music, nail polish. Read about husbands who are an asset and the husbands who are a handicap. In the SC world, marriage and motherhood and a comfortable income are indispensable as a proper pedigree. For Elizabeth, the honeymoon was simply breathing space before the real work began.
This book, from the first page with a Social Climbers dictionary of terms used throughout the book to the very last page had me hooked. The mixture of a guide and a novel into one is genius. And I will have to say the guides were perfect. If you ever want to know how to behave like a Social Climber, what to wear and what to drink this book has it all. And as a side note I dislike the UB immensely! You will just have to read the book yourself to find out who that is and how Elizabeth deals with her. I will share these tips with you from Beth’s website though:
Top 12 Ways To Be A Socialite
- Identify a charity you would like to support
- Dress your best—put your best foot forward
- Wear large sunglasses
- Wear scarves on your bag, neck or around your shoulders. It glams up any outfit!
- Clean your car so it sparkles and is neat on the inside
- Write thank you notes
- Buy either monogrammed or cute note cards—Lilly Pulitzer has beautiful stationary
- Have fun. Public Relation firms and Non Profits have free parties every day—get on their lists and go
- Get your nails and hair done and look photo-opp perfect (don’t forget to smile)
- Learn how to introduce yourself with a firm handshake and look in their eyes
- Elizabeth strives to be a socialite but also something bigger. But what?
This is an all around great book with things that will make you laugh, cry and with things that will make you go “Hmm…”. To read an excerpt of Social Climbers go here and to read more about Beth Dunn visit her page here. And Beth has graciously made available one extra copy of Social Climbers for a Dirty Shirt reader to win. See rules below:
- MAIN RULE – Gonna have a little fun with this one. Tell me in comments which of the following show or shows from the Social Climbers Shows list are your favorite/s. (remember if this rule is not followed then no others will count)
- Nip Tuck
- The Real Housewives of New York City
- Santana Barbara
- Girls Next Door
- Falcon Crest
- Desperate Housewives
- Filthy Rich Cattle Drive
- The Jeffersons’
- The Simple Life
- Gastineau Girls
- How To Be A Hilton
- Different Strokes
- Arrested Development
- The OC
- The Apprentice
- Melrose Place
- Dirty Sexy Money
- Any Soap Opera, Especially if it is One Life To Live
- 1 Extra Entry – Subscribe to my RSS feed or by email (or let me know if you already are) in a separate comment
- 1 Extra Entry – Stumble this post and leave your Stumble name (I will be checking) in a separate comment
- 1 Extra Entry – Favorite The Dirty Shirt in Technorati and leave your name (I will be checking) in a separate comment
- 1 Extra Entry – Follow me on Twitter (button in subscribe section on on the right sidebar) and let me know your Twitter name in a separate comment
- 1 Extra Entry for Tweeting about this giveaway. Please leave direct URL in comments so I can check.
- 2 Extra Entries – Write a post on your blog linking to my blog and to the Social Climbers book website.
This giveaway will run through midnight on February 8, with winner being announced the morning of February 9. Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact me before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.