Truvia Holiday Recipes | Giveaway
Truvia™ (pronounced Tru-VEE-a) is the brand name for a great-tasting, natural, zero calorie sweetener made with rebiana, the best-tasting part of the stevia leaf, which is 200 times sweeter than sugar. Truvia™ natural sweetener provides consumers with a new, natural sweetener choice to reduce the number of calories in their diets and provides a new option in their overall wellness plan. Truvia™ sweetener is available both as an ingredient and as a tabletop sweetener.
Chef Marisa Churchill of Top Chef and The Food Network Challenge fame created several dessert recipes using Truvia – tiramisu mousse cake, banana cream pie, pear and sour cherry crisp, among others. Chef Churchill is not only a pastry chef, but also a competitive swimmer. As an athlete, she is focused on maintaining a balanced diet and fitness routine, but as a pastry chef, she can’t give up her sweet tooth. Therefore, she specializes in creating low-fat and low-calorie recipes so she can still embrace her sweet side guilt-free.
As the holiday season is just around the corner, perhaps your readers will find these recipes useful – especially since half of people’s annual weight gain occurs during the last six weeks of the year!
Below you will find some of Marisa’s recipes, just in time for the holiday season.
Pear & Sour Cherry Crisp
yield: Makes 8 servings – active time: 25 minutes – total time: 1 hours
For crisp topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour, or 3/4 cup all purpose & 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 37 packets Truvia™ natural sweetener (2/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, untoasted
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans, untoasted and unsalted
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 1/4” cubes
- 1 1/2 ounce reduced fat cream cheese, preferably Kraft brand, cut into 1/4” cubes
- 4 1/2 cups diced fresh pear, very ripe, preferably Bartlett
- 3/4 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 packets Truvia™ natural sweetener (6 tablepoons)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the cream cheese and butter into cubes, and place into the freezer for 20 minutes, or until it is firm enough that you can’t press your finger into it, but not frozen solid!
- In a stand mixer, or using a mixing bowl, combine everything but the butter and cream cheese. Mix for 1 minute, just to blend together. Add in the chilled butter and cream cheese all at once. Mix in on medium speed, or with pastry cutters, mix until the dough is crumbly with small pebble sized pieces of butter.
- Preheat your oven to 365 degrees.
- Peel the pears, and chop them into 1/2” cubes. Place the pieces of pear into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, soften the dried cherries by filling the bowl with hot water. Allow them to sit in the water for several minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the Truvia™ natural sweetener, flour and cinnamon.
- Remove the cherries from the water. Add them to the chopped pears, and pour the lemon juice on top. Add in the flour mixture and stir together until well blended.
- Place approximately 2/3 cup of the filling into each 4 ounce ramekin. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet, and lightly cover with foil. At the same time, transfer the crisp topping to a rimmed baking sheet approximately 17×12 inches in size. Spread the crisp topping in a thin layer evenly over the pan.
- Place the crisp topping into the oven on the center rack. Place the covered crisps on the rack underneath.
- Bake the crisp topping for 25 minutes, stirring with a fork once every 10 minutes, to break up the pieces. After 25 minutes, remove the topping from the oven. Place the pear filling up on the center rack, and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the pears are soft, and the juice is thick and bubbly.
- Remove the filling from the oven, and top each ramekin with 1/3 cup of the crisp topping. Serve warm.
This crisp topping keeps nicely for several days. Place any leftover topping into a storage container or zip top bag and keep at room temperature. Sprinkle on top of yogurt, or enjoy on its own as a sweet snack.
yield: Makes 10 servings – active time: 15 minutes – total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 bottle white wine, preferably Sauvignon Blanc, approximately 3 cups
- 2/3 cup Elderflower liquer (available at Beverages & More, and most local wine stores)
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 6 packets Truvia™ natural sweetener
- ½ large lemon, sliced into ¼” circles
- 1 small orange, sliced into ¼” circles
- 2/3 cup red flame or green grapes, sliced in half
In a drinks pitcher, stir together the white wine, elderflower liquer, and Truvia™ natural sweetener. Add in the fruit. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to overnight, so the fruit absorbs some of the flavors. Right before serving, stir the drink and add in the sparkling water.
If you would like the chance to win one of five Truvia prize packs so you can try out these recipes please see rules below and enter today! There will be 5 winners.
Prize packs include: Truvia tote bags, garden gloves and a box of Truvia
- MAIN RULE – Tell me in comments what your favorite recipe is (the name will do you do not have to add the recipe, unless of course you want to ). (remember if this rule is not followed then no others will count)
- 1 Extra Entry – Subscribe to my RSS feed or by email (or let me know if you already are) in a separate comment.
- 1 Extra Entry – Add my Christmas button to your site and let me know you did in a separate comment (code is at the top of blog)
- 1 Extra Entry – Follow me on Twitter (button in subscribe section on the right sidebar) and let me know your Twitter name in a separate comment.
- 1 Extra Entry – Tweet this giveaway. Copy and paste – Merry Christmas! @Jentifa is giving away Truvia Prize Packs! 5 Winners! Check it out here http://bit.ly/8U0rNh. Then come back and leave the direct link to your tweet (go to your twitter account, click on the words when your tweet was sent (ie. 5 seconds ago) and copy and paste that link in comments.
- 2 Extra Entries – Write a post on your blog linking to my blog.
This giveaway will run through midnight on December 13, with winner being announced the morning of December 14. Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact me before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.